Saturday, May 29, 2021

Lunar Eclipse - What worked ... and what didn't.

As always with an event like this which you can't fully rehearse some things work well ... and others not so much:

1, Closeups with Lunar Eclipse Maestro
  • Setup of the scope (SkyGuider, polar alignment...) worked perfectly
  • Lunar Eclipse Maestro worked well, but somewhere during the maximum, it stopped taking images - luckily I caught this and restarted it.
  • I wish Lunar Eclipse Maestro would have taken two images at once - one for the bright and one for the dark part of the moon. HDR compositions might have looked really great!
  • For both this and the timelapse, having the Nikon's directly powered by a 12V battery was perfect (though the batter was pretty much flat at the end of the night powering the cameras, and the laptop).
2. Timelapse
  • It didn't work as a timelapse at all - the moon was just a really, really bright spot - and then less bright. But there were no details of the moon or such.
  • It gave me that awesome Milky Way image - I love that.
  • Somehow my field of view calculations were all wrong. The moon only went through half of the image. I.e. I could have shot at 24mm focal length - maybe that would have made a difference.
3. Unistellar eVscope
  • Setting the eVscope up was as always a breeze.
  • One of the tablets didn't have the latest eVscope software and couldn't connect (we had really poor reception up there)
  • The images had a strong pink taint:


    It was easy enough to process that out by adjusting the whitebalance. But for live observing we had live with a pink moon.

4. Manual Widescapes
  • As always, these are some of my favorites. Just walking around, trying different angles, exposures, focal length...
  • Our spot was almost too perfect! I didn't have any objects (trees or such) that I could put in the foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment