Sunday, June 9, 2013

First image with new setup: M51

After spending a lot of time to improve my setup (hypertuning, guiding parameters, camera setup...) I was finally ready for my first imaging session - even though the moon was pretty bright and high right now. I chose an easy target: M51.

Over 2 nights, I took 7.5 hours worth of data (10x600sec Luminance, 10x450sec RGB). I used these images to learn and understand CCDStack much better (with the help of the excellent tutorial by Adam Block). I had a lot of questions with regards to colors and calibration and Bob Franke helped me a lot too.


Overall, I'm pretty happy with this image: the mount finally seems to guide well (the stars are round) and the colors are quite good too.