Monday, May 1, 2017

Eclipse Imaging #2 Ha-images with the moon covering the Sun

Well, this is what I bought my Lunt scope for :-)

I hope that these images provide some interesting detail (craters and mountains on the side of the moon against the sun with all it's surface details). And/or will make a good time lapse of the event. After reading more about it, the one thing I won't see here is the outer layers of the corona during totality (I would have to remove the filter for that ...)

So, the equipment I will use is:

  1. Lunt scope with automated pressure tuner
  2. Grasshopper camera from Point Grey
  3. MyT mount
  4. FlyCap software (from Point Grey)
Things to figure out:
  • For the sun surface vs. corona I need different exposure times. For my images so far, I took many images of the surface and then many images of the corona and then combined them. But here I need to take both at the same time. I.e. I need a program that can alternate between exposure times. Can FlyCap do that?
  • I also need different pressures for surface vs. corona. The app from Lunt to control the pressure can't do that and even if, I doubt that I could synchronize pressure alternation with exposure alternation.
    Maybe I need to write a script that triggers both (but need to find out if and what API the pressure tuner has)
  • How can the MyT mount track the sun over 2.5 hours?
    • TSX has a "sun tracking" speed. Need to try that out and how accurately it keeps the sun centered.
    • "proper" sun guiding solutions (like LuSol) might not work as the sun will be distorted.
  • Need to setup the Lunt scope side-by-side on the MyT mount
    • Need a better way to rotate the versa plate (without pinching the cables)
    • Need to route the RJ11 cable for the focuser through the mount
    • Need to run the whole setup from the NUC
Things I'll have to do onsite:
  • Accurately polar align the MyT mount (should not be a problem as I will use the MyT mount for astro imaging the nights before)
  • Focus and pressure tune as good as possible (I can do that the day before as I will keep the scope mounted)
  • That's it! This should be pretty easy! ... famous last words!!!