Wednesday, May 10, 2017

PHD2 needs "screen" ?!

When I setup the new NUC, I initially did not plug in an HDMI headless plug. Everything seemed to work OK.

But in the first two nights of imaging, it seemed as if PHD2 at some point stopped responding/working. Which mean that a) the guidestar wandered out, but also that SGPro could not get a response and aborted the sessions.

When I tried to figure what happened at the time when PHD2 stopped responding I noticed that these were the times when I closed my laptop from which I remoted into the NUC. And with that effectively ending the screen session.

Weird!

Last night, I kept the laptop connected - and everything worked fine. Tonight I'll try with the headless plug and see if that works...

... no luck either.

Next, I checked if the USB ports might get powered down (although this is unlikely to be the cause as other software like SGPro or TSX keeps working). I made sure that for all USB hubs, the checkbox next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to safe power" is disabled.

... still the same ...

Running out of ideas, I posted to the Open-PHD-Guiding Group.

Andy Galasso suspected that this has something to do with "Adaptive Hibernate" mode - though I couldn't find it. He also created a binary of PHD2 that tries to keep the computer alive. But that also didn't work.

So, I need to dig deeper (Windows 10 setting, BIOS...) to find out what causes this...

---

The crazy thing is that every other program seems to work fine. I did a whole T-Point run with TSX with Teamviewer detached. SGPro continues to take images (but then hangs when it wants an update from PHD2 after dithering)...

---

Andy asked if I would see the same behavior with other remoting software. I tried out "Windows Remote Desktop" ...
... and everything worked!!!

Really interesting: after I used Windows Remote Desktop once, I could then use TeamViewer again and PHD2 would not stop after disconnect ... really strange ...

So, between just switching to Windows Remote Desktop and spending more time on trying to figure out what TeamViewer / PDH2 is doing, I take the shortcut and use Remote Desktop (even more so as there is now a Mac and Android client too!) I still summarize my observations and will send them to TeamViewer support. Maybe they can figure something out.

With that, my TOA-130 scope is finally back in full service. Yei!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment